Monday, January 20, 2014

My Coming of Adulthood

While on my reflection walk, I thought about many things few and far between. The main thing I thought about was about how blessed I truly am. Today, being my birthday, I also thought about my past. Where I was, where people thought I would end up and where I am today. Honestly, my pictures don't really have anything to do with my walk, but I enjoy taking scenic pictures and then going back and looking on them later. Anyways enough of my blabbering and now on to my reflection.

As I started walking I was complaining to myself about how cold it was, how tired I was and how I did not feel like doing this, especially on my birthday. But as I was walking around, specifically around my neighborhood I realized that I shouldn't be complaining about the little things. We had some friends over today in T-shirts and they were like "oh this weather is so nice and warm compared to the weather we get in Alaska." Wow.. I complain about it being 40 degrees and sunny, whereas other people around the world are fighting for their lives and trying to find clothes to keep them warm. People are hit by natural disasters and their families are torn from them, but I am complaining about the weather and having to do this walk for school. Which brings me to my next point.

These past 18 years I have lived a blessed life. I have been given opportunities that many people will never receive. My parents love me and support me through my struggles and hardships and I do the same for them. I have grown into a mature, God loving, young lady. As of a couple years ago I never thought I would be at this point with my faith, or even have a faith in God at all, as well as a close relationship with my parents and having friends who support me in whatever I do. As pointed out by my basketball team today, I am of a legal age to vote and buy cigarettes... I am not sure why cigarettes keep getting thrown out, but I guess they are more popular than I thought upon adults and cooler to kids? I am not quite sure! Honestly I do not feel different, I don't have more responsibilities than I did before, but yet people are making a big deal about me being 18. Yeah, sure I am a legal adult, but I am still a kid. I live at home, I still have the same rules I did as a 16 year old, same curfew, texting rules, blah blah blah. All that fun stuff <-- WC+ ;) I am actually quite annoyed with people getting in my face about being 18, cool I am 18 years old, what's that going to change? I'm still going to get the same amount of respect from you, if not more. I sure as heck better not get less. I am Mariah Kela May, I am a senior at Seattle Christian, and I am going to do something with my life and go far in life. I don't care what people say about my future or who I have to marry or what I have to do. I decide what I want to do with my life, nobody else. Sorry people if you thought you could, but you cant. I am getting sick and tired of you telling me what to do.

Tying my thought process together, which is a little jumpy (sorry about it! I just got back from my birthday dinner and I just want to roll over and digest this food baby right now haha) but this reflection walk has taught me several things about myself. Some of which being, I am a young confident women who has a bright future ahead of me, I live a blessed life surrounded by people who love me and I need to be more of the person God has taught me to be. No matter where I go next year for college or what field of work I pursue in, I will spread God's love to the people around me and make it known that I am special because God is working in my life. So yes, my reflection walk was centered around me, and from listening to me semi summarize it up it sounds uber conceded, but I have learned more from this walk than words can describe. This past year has been full of learning experiences and I cannot wait to see what 2014 has in store for me! Happy New Year everyone and I hope you all have an amazing new year, full of fresh starts to your new chapters in life as we are now ending our time being in our tiny little high school and moving on to the real world. Love you guys <3  

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


2 comments:

  1. Mariah, I see that adulthood has hit you much differently than many people. When people think of year 18, one of the first words that comes to mind is freedom (I know that is what I thought). Just like typical Mariah however you crushed my dreams, JK. You realize that being 18 does not give you freedom, but instead takes away freedom. Suddenly there are more responsibilities to deal with, and worries about the future as well as the present. To be able to see past the metaphorical fog is one of your gifts Mariah. But stay strong, keep your head high, face challenges head on, and YOLO it once in a while. Thank you for sharing your experience with becoming 18.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be a great adult. :) You already are. I've been really impressed with your heart this year Mariah-- there's so much more depth, strength, and compassion to you than I first realized!
    15/15

    ReplyDelete